A blog for the New Zealand creative advertising industry, now at www.campaignbrief.com/nz. Email news to: michael@campaignbrief.com

Monday, April 10, 2006

The new NZI ad

Well done Darrly Parsons from Consortium for this one.

I mean, to take the 42 Below idea and transcend it to an insurer
using the same idea, execution, and V/O style is brilliant.



Darryl Parsons says:

When I first talked to Geoff Ross about "putting pictures to radio ads" (which is what we called virals back in those days) I showed him some stuff that RATHERGOOD.COM were doing on the web as a reference. So if NZI have borrowed from 42 BELOW, then 42 BELOW were already borrowing from RATHERGOOD.COM who were borrowing from MONTY PYTHON stuff done in the 70's. It's part of what we do.

Personally I think it's great that whoever did it got a company like NZI to go there in the first place.

I like it when companies are brave enough to think a little differently.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if someone had ripped his idea.

4:43 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Darryl? I was wondering that. It's still bloody good though. Nice idea. Is it campaignable though? That Darryl is bloody funny. I liked it, very 42 though.

5:06 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't Darryl. But totally ripped from him. The shame.

5:08 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its a nice/different idea and yeah the animation style has been used by Darryl but so too by Monty Python. just one of those things. better than watching a Briscoes ad.

5:21 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah but it's not just the animation style that's the same - it's the whole thing. How do they sleep at night?

5:35 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who did it then?

6:12 pm NZST

 
Blogger CB said...

Isn't that an Assignment account? I think it is - Kim Thorp, Howard Grieve, those guys.

7:10 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was Colenso...

7:50 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who?

8:32 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's well done. But Darryl would have animated it better if he'd had more coin. The idea of people wanting to steal is good, but the tone of 42 is so close. I thought Darryl just needed to get a script signed off on a Friday afternoon.

9:01 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never saw your last comment Darryl as you must have been writing it at the same time. But I think you are being too kind.

9:03 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just clicked - The idea is stolen as well.

9:15 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw it I thought 42 Below - could've got a better voiceover toom, that guy annoys me.

11:34 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I just downloaded it off Neilsens. I love it - but Jeeezsus, it's not close to the 42 below feel. It's bang on. Voiceover and tone included.

7:37 am NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anyone got a link so we can have a look?

9:15 am NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah - I don't have an immediate link and I don't think my agency would be happy if I gave you our password for neilsens - but if you're interested go to your head TVP prodcuer and ask for the username and website for www.cnis.co.nz and then hunt for the ad.

9:49 am NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's a head tvp producer??????
\
S

3:17 pm NZST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not a TVP producer, it's a TVP prodcuer, dummy.

4:09 pm NZST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home